Thursday, June 17, 2010

Influences In My Life

Yesterday on his blog, Nathan Bransford posited the question: who have been the most influential people in your writing life?  Many people responded with authors.  For me, it's a balance between family, friends, and a few writers. 

I'm not going to list out everyone like some grand online academy awards.  I just have to say that my family and friends are wonderfully supportive, and I appreciate them every day. After the last 24 hours, I appreciate them even more.

I have 3 managers in my own career, two present and one past, who have been really influential as well.  They have all managed to live their personal lives to the max, while moving their careers forward.  When I think that I can't manage both, I think of their examples and soldier on.

Now for writers: 
  • Many years ago I admired how Anne Rice had fused fiction and fact together so seamlessly that many people  I knew truly had trouble distinguishing which was which in her vampire novels.  I have aimed to do the same in my own work.  I have also re-read her earlier works when I need to revisit telling a story within a story.
  • When I need to get my creativity going about the more fantastic aspects of my book, or need help with a sex scene, I read some Shana Abe or Nora Roberts' more Celtic/occult type works.
  • When I need to lighten my mood, add a bit of quirkiness or levity, then I tend to read Madelyn Alt or Christopher Moore.
  • When I'm getting a little creative with known facts and theories, it's Dan Brown that I turn to for help.

Now there are many other books I have read along this path, all with ties which in some way relate to my own book, although I have never seen anything very close to mine (phew!).  I read thrillers, fantasy, mysteries, Celtic themes, magical themes, mythological themes and anything else I think is even tangentially similar.  I'm actually a little concerned about how limited I have made my personal reading for so long.  I'll hopefully be able to expand my interests again but I'm not going to worry about that until I finish writing this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment