Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sex, Drugs and a Rock

I love the ancient story of the Hill of Tara, and hate the modern one. Both tales play a role in my book.

The ancient story - this is the site of the Coronation of the Pre-Christian Irish Kings. Sitting on top of the Hill of Tara is the Stone of Destiny, which was the coronation site. There was an intricate, and at one point intimate, coronation ritual at that location which redefines the phrase coming to power.

Did I ever mention how much I love history?

Now for the modern story. Due to population growth, a new highway needs to be built. For an inexplicable reason, the Irish government wants to run it through the most archaeologically rich areas of Ireland, one with a series of ancient religious sites. The Hill of Tara is at risk, and with is goes a core place in Ireland's Celtic heritage.

Some of you will have heard me kvetch about this before - but it really ticks me off and I want to make sure the world knows so there is a chance to stop the destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment