Sunday, May 23, 2010

Loss and Finding that Groove Again

I started having extreme technical difficulties with my old laptop and decided to replace it.  Something went horribly, horribly awry and I lost my last revision which included several new sections when I transferred the documents.  The old laptop is dead so I can't retrieve it.

Trying to bring back the energy and focus of lost work is much harder than finding that mental space in the first place.  I couldn't get into the zone at all.  I think a lot of it comes from I was analysing every paragraph - was this something that needed revision?  What did I say? It's looks fine now, did I see something before which I am now missing?

At least I knew at what page that revision stopped, and I made myself so through that point in the manuscript.  Hopefully I will feel more free as I continue this revision.

I always over judge my work - but who doesn't do that to themselves?  It's just I have never had the level of self doubt as I did after this experience.  Sections that I know I thought were good, now feel stilted to me. 

I'll get over myself as I usually do.  I have to - this is my dream.  If I don't, then not only will I never achieve what I want, but I would have wasted the last 6 years of research and writing.  I just can't let that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment