Sunday, March 27, 2011

Psychic Intervention

So, after 8 months of blog silence and 5 months of writer's block, I'm back in the game.  Lots has happened - I finished transitioning jobs, I've lost some loved ones, I've gained new friends, I've had a flood in my writing space and I've recreated a new (and better) one.

I thought my book was done around October, I knew I had some work to do on it but thought it was mostly there.  HA! After getting it back from the person who proofed it I know that actually I have a ton to do - that's fine because it just makes it better.  I also realised, on my own, that I was reinforcing some female stereotypes which I didn't want in there. For example, my 60-something primary female character had no love interest.  She's a feisty, funny, attractive woman - it's crazy that she doesn't have a love interest! This woman totally deserves a little something-something.

So yesterday, in a desperate attempt to get some clarity on how to get back into my writing groove, I went to a psychic.  Never had been to one before. 

It was at a Psychic and Holistic Fair in North Easton, Massachusetts at a place called Women of Wisdom.  The psychics were in a workshop room, and you had to wait along the wall of folding chairs trying not to listen in and invade the space of the other readings.

I walk up to the woman when I am told to proceed.  First thing I am told is that I am a persnickety, control freak.  She said she preferred using the word persnickety to anal because it sounds nicer.  I couldn't really argue with either of these points.  She also said I was blatantly a care-taker.  After caring for a father and a husband with cancer, she was right on that point as well.  She told me that I needed to learn to breathe and go with the flow.

Since the flow usually feels like it involves drowning me, this is not an easy thing for me to do - but I am trying to have faith in the universe/divine and seeing what I can do.

Then she told me that the reason I wake up at 3-4 in the AM (which I didn't tell her - but she's right) is because it's the writers hour.  My spiritual writing guides are trying to come through.  She said to ask them if they can wait a few hours and you promise to reconnect later -then do so.  When I was ready to write, I was to ask for the Writers of Light to step in and guide me.

She said more, but I was now both focusing on what she was saying, wondering to myself "does everyone wake up between 3 and 4, and she is just playing me?" and feeling awkward at how "new age" the conversation had gone.  But I had gone there for a reason, and I was going to follow her advice and give it a try with an open mind and an open heart. I had nothing to lose, except maybe a little pride.

So at 4 am when I woke up, I asked my writing guides to wait a bit.  By 7:30, I was up, had asked the Writers of Light to help and to my amazement within a few hours I had finished revising 15% of my manuscript.  I couldn't even believe it. 

So the skeptic in me is thinking "OK - I predisposed my own mindset to make this happen and tricked myself into being creative".  The magical thinking part of me feels that I have reconnected my mind-heart-spirit and I am on my way. The realist in me states "who cares as long as it works".

And so I'm back on my path...

No comments:

Post a Comment